Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Thank you Victoria for your wonderful comment about Helen. I think quilters are a rare breed and our "quilting family" stretches farther than we realize until something like this happens. We get to know and learn from these quilting giants through books, magazines, tv, video and now the internet. We begin to accept them as part of our family and when we lose them, we grieve their loss just like any other family member. As one of our founding quilters, she leaves a huge legacy.

Well, I have been quilting frantically for an upcoming local quilt show. I am putting the binding on a small wall hanging today and then I will be done with all the customer quilts I had to do for the show.

If anyone lives close to Amery, WI, stop in and join us. I am told there is more than 135 quilts that will be displayed this year. If you'd like to stop and chat, I won't be hard to find. I will be the one lurking near the treadle and hand crank sewing machines.

I have been asked to do free motion treadle demos and hand crank sewing. I will be floating around the show both days. I believe it is open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m (or maybe 5, not sure) on saturday and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on sunday. It is being held at St. Josephs Catholic Church (right on Hwy. 46). There will be a few vendors as well as a quilts for sale section. Also being featured this year for the first time are free one hour class demos being hosted throughout the day. I think the cost is only $3.00 to get in. Raffle tickes are $1 ea./six for $5. I also had the honor of quilting the second place raffle quilt. So, please, if you're in the area, stop in and say hello.

I still do a lot of pantograph quilting, but am gradually learning free hand feather work. Below are some close ups of a quilt I did recently. Sorry, it won't be in the show. This quilt was presented to a couple as a wedding gift. The overall design was similiar to a log cabin barn raising and the customer wanted feathers. Being a diagonal design, it would have been difficult to use a pantograph. So, I bit the bullet and away I went. I don't think it turned out to bad for my first attempt at overall free hand feathers, but I still need lots of practice.

Well, I better get to work and get that binding done and back to the customer so she can deliver it for the show. I will take a picture of it when I'm done and post it tomorrow.

Have a great day and Happy Quilting!












0 comments:

Post a Comment